About Us | Friendly Pools | Tennis & Swim
Monday-Saturday 11:00 AM-9:00 PM
Sunday 12:00 PM-9:00 PM
Friendly Swim and Tennis is s member-run pool operated as a nonprofit corporation within the meaning of Section 501(c)(7) of the Internal Revenue code – for the express purpose to organize, build and maintain swimming, tennis, and playground facilities to be operated for the promotion of the social welfare of its members.
Friendly is run by a volunteer Board of Directors elected at the end of each summer by its members. The slate of officers comes directly from current members. The Board directs the administration and maintenance of the facilities. Decisions are made with input from the Pool Manager (including staff) and the members of Friendly. The day-to-day operation of Friendly is performed by the Pool Manager, Erin Harris and her staff.
Our club is located at: 2215 Mimosa Drive, Greensboro, NC 27403 in Guilford County.
Friendly opened for its members in the summer of 1958 on the same property as it stands today – on 7.5 acres of shaded property originally bounded on one side by Buffalo Creek and wooded lots and today bounded by Lake Daniel Park and Cone Behavioral Health Hospital. At the time of its opening, Friendly was the 3rd neighborhood pool to open in Greensboro – behind only Guilford Hills (the first community pool in North Carolina) and O Henry Oaks. Today, with the closing years ago of Guilford Hills and O Henry Oaks pools, Friendly ranks as Greensboro’s oldest neighborhood pool still in operation.
Over the years, Friendly has expanded its facilities and membership to 325 families. Friendly’s first pool manager and swim coach in 1958 was Bob Sawyer. For 2014, as she has done for more than 26 years, Erin Harris will return as pool manager and swim coach for another fun-filled summer.
Friendly’s swim team quickly adopted the name of the “Friendly Frogs” and enjoyed immediate success in the water winning the very first CSA Championship in 1959. Over the years “The Frogs” have continued to enjoyed tremendous success, winning a total of 11 CSA Championships, including, the last three CSA Championships (2011, 2102, 2013).
Did you know?
- Friendly's team colors use to be light blue and white before changing to the green and yellow in the 1970s
- Members used to be able to access the main parking lot directly from Elam Ave. via a dirt road (before the tennis courts were built and there were only woods on that side of property) called "Hoppy Toad Road"
- During the 1960s & 70s members were encouraged to bring their own chairs (to use), and were allowed to leave them at the pool.
- Friendly did not get a concession stand until the late 1970s, as back then a few vending machines served our members.
- Friendly’s main pool was expanded from its original four-lane configuration to its current six-lane configuration with expanded shallow end during the most recent major renovation of the pool facilities in the year 2000.
Friendly in the "News"
Check out the recent articles and local "press" about Friendly Pool:
O.Henry Magizine - September 2012
SportsKidsPlay Newspaper - July - Aug 2013
UNCGNOW - July 31, 2013